Saturday, July 09, 2016

Me at 14

I got in contact with a friend whose brother I was at school with in the wake of the Brexit vote. Over the course of a facebook communication he sent me this photo which was taken in his bedroom when I was about 14.
It shows me dressed in Regal gear shirt and hipsters at least. I'd been wondering what the paisley on thsoe hipsters looked like. I gave them away about 22 years back to a girl I'd been seeing around the time.
 I'm now  much bigger than i was at the time. I was a very skinny teen.
 So shirt, hipsters and hat are all Regal.
I think I picked up the jacket at Mr Byrite near Oxford Circus in the early 80s. & the boots were the really pointy type of Shelly's chelsea  boots. I went through several pairs of chelsea and Beatle boots. I'sd already had a pair of the more round-toed type and talked Graham in the Regal into getting spats in  because teh elastic on the side had gone. These pointed pair were stolen from under my bed when I was boarding for a year around this time.
I probably spent more time in the Beatles boots both a 60s pair I picked up from the Carnaby Market and a pair I got from Melanddi which were more chunky.

I'm now more likely to be seen in a pair of bike boots i picked up mailorder from CAboots in Texas or a pair of harness boots I got from a US mailorder place called LeatherUp.

I'm currently working on a new jeans jacket based on that basic design but it's going to have a more |Western collar. it's going to be in this fabric.
Which is a cotton curtain thing called Lavender Maine. I have it about half cut out. I need to work out if there is a way of telling if there is an outside and an inside since the Fabric has the design on both sides.
I was thinking of making jeans in it too but it may be a bit stiff. Jacket should be good hopefully though.
 I still need to really work out how to do trousers. I'm still having trouble with getting the waist right and having to continually pull them up.
Got a new pair cut in this fabric, but the reality is more vivd than the photo.

It reminds me of when Hanna Barbera cartoons were trying to be with it in the late 60s. So kind of  corny but will look really cool I think.
So far I've just been cutting things while the table's been clear and it took me ages to get the table back to clear so I've made far less clothing than I would have liked this year. I still have a stripey cossack shirt I cut about 3 months back partially done which I need to remedy. last thing I pretty much finished was another cossack shirt in orange which is a coincidence to this teenage image of me. But I got the placket the wrong way round which I only realised when i had it done. So I may need to go back and redo that.
Need to remember that cossack shirt placket has opening pointing to left should er instead of to the front. Having it open to the front would mean the wind would get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment